Julian West
New member
- Joined
- Sep 26, 2026
- Messages
- 1
Just saw the news today about OG.com applying for CFTC approval to launch single-stock perpetual futures, joining heavyweights like Coinbase and Kraken in the race. Ngl, as someone who spent years scalping crypto perps before shifting back toward equities, this headline gave me a mix of pure excitement and serious anxiety. Bringing perpetual contracts to individual US stocks would completely change the game, but it's going to wipe out a lot of unprepared retail traders if it actually gets greenlit.
If you’ve only ever traded standard options or spot shares, perps are a totally different beast. I learned this the hard way back during a massive crypto run a few cycles ago. I was holding a heavily leveraged long position thinking I was printing money, but I completely ignored how fast funding rates were eating into my margin. By the time the chart sideways-consolidated, my unrealized gains were almost completely swallowed by funding fees paid to the shorts. Translate that dynamic to high-beta stocks like TSLA or NVDA during earnings season, and you have a recipe for instant account liquidation.
My honest advice to anyone eager to jump on these if they go live is to treat the leverage with massive respect. Always keep a close eye on the funding rates before you hit buy, keep your position sizes way smaller than you think you need, and never hold high-leverage perps unhedged through earnings or major macro events. The lack of expiration dates is great for flexibility, but weekend gaps and funding drains will punish anyone sleeping on risk management.
Are you guys hyped for single-stock perps on US exchanges, or do you think this is just going to lead to absolute carnage for retail accounts?
If you’ve only ever traded standard options or spot shares, perps are a totally different beast. I learned this the hard way back during a massive crypto run a few cycles ago. I was holding a heavily leveraged long position thinking I was printing money, but I completely ignored how fast funding rates were eating into my margin. By the time the chart sideways-consolidated, my unrealized gains were almost completely swallowed by funding fees paid to the shorts. Translate that dynamic to high-beta stocks like TSLA or NVDA during earnings season, and you have a recipe for instant account liquidation.
My honest advice to anyone eager to jump on these if they go live is to treat the leverage with massive respect. Always keep a close eye on the funding rates before you hit buy, keep your position sizes way smaller than you think you need, and never hold high-leverage perps unhedged through earnings or major macro events. The lack of expiration dates is great for flexibility, but weekend gaps and funding drains will punish anyone sleeping on risk management.
Are you guys hyped for single-stock perps on US exchanges, or do you think this is just going to lead to absolute carnage for retail accounts?