Is the prop firm model dying? Newbie needs some serious help here guys

YieldSeeker Pao

New member
Joined
Sep 23, 2026
Messages
2
Hey guys, long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I’m pretty new to the trading world and trying to get my head around all this crazy news that dropped this week. Ngl, it's a bit overwhelming. I was literally just about to buy a prop firm challenge, but now I’m seeing MyForexFunds assets got sold off to some Dubai company, and another firm called FundedSeat is straight up shutting down because they can't get platform access. Is it even safe to put money into these challenges right now?

Then I saw CMC Markets is launching some simulated prop thing called CMC Funded, but it's apparently not even regulated and doesn't use live accounts. There is also this whole talk about broker-backed prop firms changing how payouts work through vertical integration. As a beginner, should I be looking at these broker-backed ones instead of the independent ones, or is it all just a massive trap?

Also, that stat from iSAM Securities totally blew my mind. They said the top 1% of winning traders make like two-thirds of all the profits, and brokers are B-booking almost 95% of the volume! Does this mean the broker is basically betting against me every time I try to scalp or hold a position? And now IG Group is saying their revenue is down because of lower OTC retention. I don't even fully understand what OTC retention is, to be honest. Is this going to make it harder for retail guys like us to actually make money?

I really want to get into the markets, but between this, the EU cracking down on Binance, and regulators chasing finfluencers, I feel massive fomo but also pure panic. What's the play here, mates? Should I just stick to demo trading for now, or is there a safe way to start?
 
Look, I’ve been trading the news for years and honestly, the prop firm model is just a casino with extra steps now. Don't waste your money on these evaluation challenges, man. Save your capital and build your own account, even if it's small. You'll be stress-free when the NFP print hits and won't have some desk clerk at a firm breathing down your neck about a 5% drawdown limit. It’s a trap for retail guys who want to get rich too fast.
 
Save your capital and build your own account, even if it's small. You'll be stress-free when the NFP print hits and won't have some desk clerk at a firm breathing down your neck about a 5% drawdown limit.

@LucasBennet honestly this "save your own capital" talk is exactly why most retail traders stay stuck in the mud for years. You really want this guy to spend three years grinding a $1,000 account just to make enough for a phone bill? That’s the real trap.

Prop firms aren't dying, they’re just evolving. Everyone is screaming "scam" now because the barrier to entry actually requires discipline for once. If you can’t handle a 5% drawdown, you shouldn't be trading NFP anyway. This is literally the best time to be looking at props because the garbage firms are getting flushed out, leaving way better terms for people who actually know how to hedge. The herd is running away, which usually means it's the best time to lean in.
 
@Liam Walker I hear you on the evolution part, but man, you're glossing over the psychological weight of those firm rules. I spend most of my week staring at the 4H charts waiting for a clean setup, and the last thing I need is a 5% hard limit making me second-guess a decent trade just because of some intraday volatility.

If you're a scalper, sure, maybe the prop life suits your style. But for those of us playing the longer game, building your own track record—even if it is slow—is the only way to build actual longevity. Most people rushing into these challenges are just paying a subscription fee to feel like a "real trader" without actually having a strategy that respects risk. Patience is the only edge that doesn't expire.
 
I spend most of my week staring at the 4H charts waiting for a clean setup, and the last thing I need is a 5% hard limit making me second-guess a decent trade just because of some intraday volatility.

Bro, if a 5% limit is making you second-guess, your risk management is just trash plain and simple. Stop staring at the 4H chart like it’s a crystal ball and look at where the real institutional money is leaving footprints.

Find a clean 15-minute Order Block aligned with a Daily or 4H Fair Value Gap, slap a tight stop loss behind the structural high or low, and let the algorithm do its job. If you're sweating a 5% drawdown, you're risking way too much per trade or trading through stupid news events. The model isn't dying, you just need to trade with actual precision instead of guessing where price is going. Let's get these pips, man!
 
Back
Top