USDJPY dumping on jawboning - lessons from trading political headline risk

Julian Vance

New member
Joined
Sep 26, 2026
Messages
1
Man, seeing Trump jawbone the yen weakness today brought back serious flashbacks to his first term. One comment about the dollar being too strong or the yen being too weak, and boom, USDJPY dumps hard out of nowhere and halts that relentless green daily streak. If you’ve been trading FX for more than a couple of cycles, you know this exact flavor of chaos.

Back during his previous administration, I got absolutely wrecked trying to catch a falling knife on a similar political headline. I didn't respect my risk, thought the macro trend would instantly reassert itself, and got wiped out by a massive liquidity hunt. The hard lesson I learned back then—and something I’m strictly applying right now—is to never FOMO into headline volatility. Political comments create insane knee-jerk order flow spikes, but unless central banks actually step in with real intervention or policy shifts, the broader macro trend usually reasserts itself once the noise dies down.

My practical rule of thumb when political headlines hit the tape is to immediately cut position size in half and widen stops to account for spread expansion. Ngl, I managed to snag a quick short scalp on the initial knee-jerk reaction today, but I’m definitely not holding any heavy swing positions right now. Chasing these candles is a fast track to blowing up an account.

Are you guys looking to buy this USDJPY pullback, or are you staying on the sidelines until the headline risk clears up?
 
Totally agree on waiting out the noise. Right now I'm just watching the 4-hour chart on USDJPY to see if we get a proper RSI divergence before stepping in, because catching these headline knives is a great way to bleed out your account. MACD is still looking pretty messy on the lower timeframes anyway, so sitting on hands is definitely the play.
 
Man, forget the RSI and MACD noise. You guys are overcomplicating this. Look left on the daily chart and find that last breakout structure at 151.90. If that level doesn't hold as support, the whole bullish narrative is toast regardless of what the news says. Just watch the price action around that zone; if we get a nice bullish pin bar or a rejection wick there, the trade is obvious. Otherwise, stay out. Simple as that.
 
It's essentially a game of chicken. Ministry of Finance uses jawboning to trigger a wave of profit-taking and long liquidations, letting the market burn itself out so they don't actually have to step in and physical dump USD reserves unless they absolutely have to.
 
Bro, RSI and MACD on USDJPY right now is just pure retail bait. Ignore the indicators and keep your eyes glued to that daily mitigation block. If price sweeps those lows and taps into the 4h bullish order block, we're launching. Just waiting for the LTF shift in market structure to pull the trigger.
 
Everyone's obsessed with the 151.90 level but keep an eye on the liquidity sweep first. If we don't see a clean stop run below those local lows, I'm not touching it. Too many people are trying to catch a falling knife without waiting for the actual confirmation in the order flow. I’ve backtested this setup a thousand times and the fakeouts always look exactly like this. Just let the volatility exhaust itself before you force a trade. Patience pays.
 
Y'all are trying to map order blocks while the order book is literally completely empty from that release lol. Spreads blew out to like 8 pips on my broker during the dump. No chance I'm looking for a bounce until the market actually digests the headline and depth comes back, you're just trading pure slippage right now.
 
Back
Top