Derrick Swift
New member
- Joined
- Sep 26, 2026
- Messages
- 1
Yo guys, just saw the news about Vista Gold agreeing to a sale, and man, it triggered some serious trading flashbacks. If you have been playing the junior mining sector as long as I have, you know this story inside and out. Mt Todd is a massive gold asset, but it has always been held back by that absolutely monstrous capex hurdle. Now we have a buyer, but the big question we all need to ask is whether they can actually fund this beast or if this is just another paper promise.
Ngl, I got absolutely wrecked on a similar setup years ago. I bought into the FOMO of a "game-changing" acquisition on a copper junior, thinking I was going to ride it to an easy double. I didn't bother looking into the buyer's actual financial health, assuming the press release wouldn't lie. Long story short, the buyer's financing fell through, the deal collapsed, and I was left holding a massive bag after a 50% overnight drop. It was a brutal but necessary lesson in counterparty risk.
When it comes to developers like VGZ, my rule of thumb now is never to chase the initial hype pump. You have to wait and see the color of their money. If the buyer is relying on highly conditional debt packages or dilutive equity raises to fund Mt Todd, the market is going to sniff that out and discount the stock anyway. My risk management play here is to sit on my hands, let the initial volatility settle, and wait for concrete filing details on how the transition is being funded before even thinking about taking a position.
Are any of you guys holding VGZ right now, or are you planning to scalp the volatility on this news?
Ngl, I got absolutely wrecked on a similar setup years ago. I bought into the FOMO of a "game-changing" acquisition on a copper junior, thinking I was going to ride it to an easy double. I didn't bother looking into the buyer's actual financial health, assuming the press release wouldn't lie. Long story short, the buyer's financing fell through, the deal collapsed, and I was left holding a massive bag after a 50% overnight drop. It was a brutal but necessary lesson in counterparty risk.
When it comes to developers like VGZ, my rule of thumb now is never to chase the initial hype pump. You have to wait and see the color of their money. If the buyer is relying on highly conditional debt packages or dilutive equity raises to fund Mt Todd, the market is going to sniff that out and discount the stock anyway. My risk management play here is to sit on my hands, let the initial volatility settle, and wait for concrete filing details on how the transition is being funded before even thinking about taking a position.
Are any of you guys holding VGZ right now, or are you planning to scalp the volatility on this news?