Evelyn Reed
New member
- Joined
- Oct 4, 2026
- Messages
- 1
Man, seeing the headlines about Iran's rial hitting absolute record lows even after their central bank dumped two billion dollars into the market to prop it up gives me major flashbacks. Ngl, it’s a classic textbook trap that too many retail traders fall into. When a central bank steps in, amateurs often think it’s an automatic bottom and start buying. But let me tell you, trying to catch a falling knife in forex—especially exotic pairs or heavily sanctioned fiat—is a fast track to blowing up your account.
Years ago, during one of the major Turkish Lira crashes, I thought I’d be a hero and scalp the rebound when the central bank announced an intervention. I got absolutely wrecked because I let FOMO dictate my trade instead of looking at the macro reality. The lesson I learned the hard way is that central bank interventions are usually just temporary liquidity exits for big players to dump their bags at a slightly better price. If a country's fundamentals are cooked and the market wants it lower, no amount of billions dumped into the order book is going to save it. The trend is your friend until the very end, and fighting a systemic devaluing currency is pure madness.
If you are trading any highly volatile currencies right now or looking at hedging your capital, you have to prioritize strict risk management. Keep your position sizes tiny on these pairs and always use hard stop losses that you actually respect. Don't baghold a currency hoping for some state-sponsored miracle recovery because, as we just saw with the rial, even a two billion dollar wall gets chewed through in days when panic sets in.
Have any of you guys ever tried trading through a major central bank intervention, or do you just sit on your hands when the macro gets this chaotic?
Years ago, during one of the major Turkish Lira crashes, I thought I’d be a hero and scalp the rebound when the central bank announced an intervention. I got absolutely wrecked because I let FOMO dictate my trade instead of looking at the macro reality. The lesson I learned the hard way is that central bank interventions are usually just temporary liquidity exits for big players to dump their bags at a slightly better price. If a country's fundamentals are cooked and the market wants it lower, no amount of billions dumped into the order book is going to save it. The trend is your friend until the very end, and fighting a systemic devaluing currency is pure madness.
If you are trading any highly volatile currencies right now or looking at hedging your capital, you have to prioritize strict risk management. Keep your position sizes tiny on these pairs and always use hard stop losses that you actually respect. Don't baghold a currency hoping for some state-sponsored miracle recovery because, as we just saw with the rial, even a two billion dollar wall gets chewed through in days when panic sets in.
Have any of you guys ever tried trading through a major central bank intervention, or do you just sit on your hands when the macro gets this chaotic?