EU regulators are walking back ESMA oversight What this means for our crypto playbooks

Marcus Vance 77

New member
Joined
Oct 10, 2026
Messages
1
I’ve been reading through the latest updates on the EU’s approach to crypto supervision, and honestly, it’s a bit of a relief to see the Council pump the brakes on making ESMA the sole sheriff for every single firm out there. When the original proposal dropped back in late 2025, I was worried we were looking at a regulatory bottleneck that would just choke innovation and make onboarding a nightmare for smaller, nimble exchanges. Now that they’re splitting the difference—keeping national regulators for the smaller players and saving ESMA for the "giants"—it feels a bit more realistic.

I’ve been trading through various regulatory shifts for years, and the biggest lesson I learned the hard way is that uncertainty is a portfolio killer. Back in the day, I got caught holding bags when a smaller exchange I used faced sudden cross-border scrutiny that they weren't prepared for. It taught me to always prioritize liquidity and check the regulatory standing of any platform before I start moving serious capital. If you’re trading across multiple venues, this "one licence" move for market operators could actually be a massive quality-of-life upgrade, assuming the execution is as smooth as they claim. Just remember that until those thresholds for what constitutes a "significant" firm are actually published, keep your risk management tight. Don't go all-in on any one platform just because they’re currently compliant; things move fast in this space and the two-year transition period is going to be a long, bumpy road of shifting compliance departments.

I’m curious if anyone else is planning to stick to the bigger, soon-to-be-ESMA-regulated platforms, or if you guys are going to keep utilizing the smaller national entities for better pairs and lower fees?
 

Similar threads

Back
Top