Marcus Vance 77
New member
- Joined
- Oct 10, 2026
- Messages
- 1
I’ve been reading through the latest updates on the EU’s approach to crypto supervision, and honestly, it’s a bit of a relief to see the Council pump the brakes on making ESMA the sole sheriff for every single firm out there. When the original proposal dropped back in late 2025, I was worried we were looking at a regulatory bottleneck that would just choke innovation and make onboarding a nightmare for smaller, nimble exchanges. Now that they’re splitting the difference—keeping national regulators for the smaller players and saving ESMA for the "giants"—it feels a bit more realistic.
I’ve been trading through various regulatory shifts for years, and the biggest lesson I learned the hard way is that uncertainty is a portfolio killer. Back in the day, I got caught holding bags when a smaller exchange I used faced sudden cross-border scrutiny that they weren't prepared for. It taught me to always prioritize liquidity and check the regulatory standing of any platform before I start moving serious capital. If you’re trading across multiple venues, this "one licence" move for market operators could actually be a massive quality-of-life upgrade, assuming the execution is as smooth as they claim. Just remember that until those thresholds for what constitutes a "significant" firm are actually published, keep your risk management tight. Don't go all-in on any one platform just because they’re currently compliant; things move fast in this space and the two-year transition period is going to be a long, bumpy road of shifting compliance departments.
I’m curious if anyone else is planning to stick to the bigger, soon-to-be-ESMA-regulated platforms, or if you guys are going to keep utilizing the smaller national entities for better pairs and lower fees?
I’ve been trading through various regulatory shifts for years, and the biggest lesson I learned the hard way is that uncertainty is a portfolio killer. Back in the day, I got caught holding bags when a smaller exchange I used faced sudden cross-border scrutiny that they weren't prepared for. It taught me to always prioritize liquidity and check the regulatory standing of any platform before I start moving serious capital. If you’re trading across multiple venues, this "one licence" move for market operators could actually be a massive quality-of-life upgrade, assuming the execution is as smooth as they claim. Just remember that until those thresholds for what constitutes a "significant" firm are actually published, keep your risk management tight. Don't go all-in on any one platform just because they’re currently compliant; things move fast in this space and the two-year transition period is going to be a long, bumpy road of shifting compliance departments.
I’m curious if anyone else is planning to stick to the bigger, soon-to-be-ESMA-regulated platforms, or if you guys are going to keep utilizing the smaller national entities for better pairs and lower fees?