Wait, why is oil behaving like this after the EIA report?

Nathaniel Moore

New member
Joined
Sep 29, 2026
Messages
2
Hey everyone, I’m still pretty new to the whole energy markets side of things and I’m a bit confused by what just dropped. I was watching the EIA crude oil stocks numbers and they came in at 0.922M, which is way higher than the -0.3M expectation, right? I thought if stocks were building up unexpectedly, oil prices would just tank because of the supply glut, but the price action seems kinda weird today.

I’m feeling a bit lost on how to read these reports properly. Are we supposed to be looking at the inventory numbers in isolation, or is there something else moving the needle here that I’m totally missing? I’ve been trying to scalp crude lately, but this move caught me off guard and I don't want to get stuck holding a bad bag while the market figures itself out. Do you guys usually wait for the dust to settle for an hour before jumping in, or do you try to trade the initial spike? Any advice for a total noob trying to survive these news dumps would be awesome.
 
Back
Top