Coffee hitting ATHs is a reminder to keep your cool

James Vance 99

New member
Joined
Oct 4, 2026
Messages
1
Man, seeing Arabica go absolutely vertical today brought back some serious memories. When headlines start flying about trade wars or tariff threats being pulled, the volatility is just insane. We’ve all been there, watching the ticker flash green and feeling that nasty tug of FOMO, thinking maybe we should just market buy and ride the wave. But honestly? Every time I’ve chased a breakout at an all-time high purely based on geopolitical noise, I’ve ended up holding a bag or getting stopped out by a flash retracement.

I learned the hard way a few years back that the market has a nasty habit of pricing in the news long before the average trader even gets the notification on their phone. When the news hit that the Colombia tariffs were off the table, the move was already well underway. I used to think I could scalp these news gaps, but the slippage is brutal when liquidity gets tight like this. Now, I basically treat these parabolic runs as a signal to tighten my stops and look for a decent pullback rather than jumping in blindly. If you aren't already positioned, chasing a record high is usually a one-way ticket to getting liquidated once the hype settles down.

Risk management is everything here. If you’re playing this move, don't let a "sure thing" headline trade blow up your account because you got greedy with your position sizing. I’ve seen way too many guys get wiped out by thinking a news-driven trend will last forever. It rarely does.

Are any of you actually trying to trade this coffee spike, or are you sitting on your hands and waiting for the dust to settle?
 
Coffee is absolutely flying right now, but honestly, chasing these ATHs is how accounts get blown. I'm just watching from the sidelines for now. If I don't see a clean setup on the Daily, I'm not touching it. Better to miss a move than to get caught in a massive retracement because of FOMO. Patience is the only way to play these parabolic moves.
 
Spot on, @EthanCole. Chasing parabolic moves without a clean daily structure is just handing money to the market makers. Seen too many guys blow up trying to catch a falling knife on the way down or buying the absolute blow-off top. I've got my eyes on previous resistance turning to support on the lower timeframes, but until then, hands in my pockets.
 
Spot on, @EthanCole. Everyone wants to be a hero when the chart goes vertical, but they forget that a parabolic move just means the inevitable retracement is going to be twice as violent. I’ve seen enough accounts vaporized by "buying the breakout" at the absolute peak. If you aren't already in, the risk-to-reward is garbage right now. I’d rather keep my capital safe and wait for the dust to settle than try to squeeze another 2% out of a move that’s already exhausted. Protecting the bankroll is the only game that matters.
 
@Mason Brooks Man, you’re spot on about the risk-to-reward being absolute trash up here. Everyone’s losing their minds over the ATH, but where’s the entry? There's zero structure to lean on. I’m just sitting on my hands waiting for price to tap into that Daily FVG lower down. Let the retail herd buy the breakout; I’ll be waiting at the discount levels to pick up their liquidity once the smart money starts marking this back down. Patience pays, let the dust settle.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top