Nate Sterling
New member
- Joined
- Oct 9, 2026
- Messages
- 2
Hey guys, total newbie here so please go easy on me. I’ve been trying to learn the ropes with prediction markets lately on platforms like Kalshi, mostly just watching the volume on sports and political contracts to see if I can scalp small moves. But I kept seeing news today about the CFTC stepping in to officially claim these event contracts as federally regulated swaps while separating them from regular sportsbook betting. Ngl I'm pretty confused about what all this legal stuff actually means for us on the retail side.
From what I can tell, the CFTC wants a single national rulebook for these exchanges, but a bunch of states are furious because they want their own tax money and gambling licenses. Some courts are agreeing with the CFTC and others are siding with the states, so now it might even go to the Supreme Court. I was really hoping to use these markets to hedge some stuff or just learn how order books work without jumping straight into crazy futures leverage, but now I’m kind of worried about platforms getting geofenced or shut down depending on where you live.
Does federal regulation like this usually make liquidity better and spreads tighter for traders, or will it just choke out the platforms with red tape? I’d love to hear how some of you experienced traders are reading this situation and whether it's even worth putting real capital into event contracts right now with all this legal drama.
Are you guys holding off on trading these until the rules get sorted out, or are you still jumping in while the volume is high?
From what I can tell, the CFTC wants a single national rulebook for these exchanges, but a bunch of states are furious because they want their own tax money and gambling licenses. Some courts are agreeing with the CFTC and others are siding with the states, so now it might even go to the Supreme Court. I was really hoping to use these markets to hedge some stuff or just learn how order books work without jumping straight into crazy futures leverage, but now I’m kind of worried about platforms getting geofenced or shut down depending on where you live.
Does federal regulation like this usually make liquidity better and spreads tighter for traders, or will it just choke out the platforms with red tape? I’d love to hear how some of you experienced traders are reading this situation and whether it's even worth putting real capital into event contracts right now with all this legal drama.
Are you guys holding off on trading these until the rules get sorted out, or are you still jumping in while the volume is high?