Wait, Blast L2 is shutting down? What does this mean for other L2s?

Quant Nick

New member
Joined
Sep 25, 2026
Messages
2
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the whole crypto trading scene and still trying to learn the ropes, but this news today has me seriously spooked. I just read that the Ethereum Layer-2 network Blast is completely winding down operations because they claim the economics of keeping the chain running just aren't sustainable anymore. To make things worse, I saw the BLAST token has crashed like 99% from its peak. Ngl this is absolute pain for anyone who bought near the ATH, and it’s giving me major second thoughts about my own portfolio.

I was literally planning to FOMO into some L2 tokens this week because I thought they were the future of scaling Ethereum, but now I’m completely lost. If a hyped-up project like Blast can just pack up and shut down because of "bad economics," what does that mean for the other big players in the space? Should I be worried about holding my other L2 bags right now, or is this just a one-off failure?

I really want to understand how this impacts the broader market before I make any stupid moves. Can some of the experienced mates here explain if this is a warning sign for the whole ecosystem, or should I just look for scalp opportunities in the chaos?
 
Is this actually confirmed or just Twitter FUD?

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if half these over-hyped L2s eventually bleed out, but I'm not touching alt L2s right now anyway. The volatility is pure noise until we get through the next CPI release. Macro is driving everything across crypto and TradFi right now, everything else is just secondary.
 
Macro is driving everything across crypto and TradFi right now, everything else is just secondary.

Spot on. Everyone's panicking over project-specific FUD while completely ignoring the macro backdrop.

That said, if you pull up the daily charts on some of these governance tokens, the MACD crossovers are looking straight up grim anyway. RSI divergence on the lower timeframes has been screaming distribution for weeks before any of these shutdown rumors even dropped. Price action usually tells the story before the news does.
 
@Zakami Ng nailed it. Everyone is so busy staring at these L2 projects like they’re some revolutionary tech, but they’re just liquidity sinks that get absolutely torched the second the Fed even hints at keeping rates elevated.

Seriously, look at the M2 money supply and tell me how these junk L2 tokens are supposed to sustain any real price discovery. It’s all just leverage fueled by cheap money that isn't coming back anytime soon. Honestly, if you're still betting on "utility" while the macro environment is tightening like a noose, you're just exit liquidity waiting to happen. The next CPI print is going to be a bloodbath and people are worried about Blast shutting down? That's just the tip of the iceberg.
 
[QUOTE="JulianCraft, post: 2137]Honestly, if you're still betting on "utility" while the macro environment is tightening like a noose, you're just exit liquidity waiting to happen.[/QUOTE]

Spot on. Macro is brutal right now, but honestly, people getting wiped out on these L2 tokens aren't just losing to the Fed—they're committing basic portfolio suicide.

If your position sizing means a single CPI print or a project shutdown can wreck your account, you're doing it completely wrong. I don't care if Blast is shutting down or if macro is tightening; if you aren't running hard stop losses on every single trade, you're basically begging the market to liquidate you. Let the gamblers bleed out, I'm keeping my capital safe until the dust settles.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top