USD/JPY testing 158 Are we setting up for another BoJ intervention dip or just a dead cat bounce?

Marcus Thorne 90

New member
Joined
Oct 4, 2026
Messages
1
Hey everyone, been watching USD/JPY closely after that sharp move up earlier in the week followed by this minor pullback down to 157.94 on Friday. Tokyo inflation numbers came in hot with core hitting 2.7 percent, which finally gave the yen a tiny bit of breathing room and some short-term bids, but ngl, the macro picture still looks pretty heavy for JPY bulls. I'm mapping out my charts right now and trying to figure out how this affects the current order flow around the 158 handle. Are we seeing real liquidation from trapped longs here, or is this just retail getting shaken out before another leg higher? Looking at the shorter-term trends on the hourly, it feels super fragile. Wondering how you guys are playing this zone. Are you fading the bounce near resistance or waiting for a clean break of support to get short?
 
Honestly, I think everyone is overestimating the BoJ's actual firepower here. Even if they step in, it's just a band-aid on a bullet wound while the Fed keeps rates higher for longer. The yield differential is still a massive black hole sucking the Yen into oblivion, and until Powell actually pivots—which I'm still not convinced he can do without fueling another inflation spike—we’re just looking at another "buy the dip" opportunity for the bulls. I’m betting this breaks 160 before any real intervention sticks.
 
I’m betting this breaks 160 before any real intervention sticks.

Macro trend is definitely on your side @JulianCraft, but from a purely quantitative perspective, going long at 158 right now offers awful R:R.

I backtested the last few intervention cycles—the initial spike down averages roughly 350-450 pips within a 24-hour window before the carry trade algorithms step back in. The real edge isn't buying up here, it's setting stink bids 300+ pips lower for the mean reversion once MoF squeezes out the late longs. Tail risk is way too high to hold leverage at these levels.
 
[QUOTE="Noah Vance BR, post: 2085]Going long at 158 right now offers awful R:R... Tail risk is way too high to hold leverage at these levels.[/QUOTE]

Spot on, Noah. Anyone chasing USD/JPY right here without a massive buffer is just begging to get margin called when the MoF finally drops the hammer.

That risk-reward profile is completely upside down. I'm keeping my powder dry and sitting on my hands until those stink bids down in the 153-154 zone get triggered. Not worth blowing up the account trying to squeeze out another fifty pips while standing in front of a steamroller.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top