Total newbie here, what does this Tokyo inflation news actually mean for USDJPY?

YieldOracle

New member
Joined
Sep 19, 2026
Messages
2
Ngl I am pretty confused watching USD/JPY today. I saw it dip down to around 157.94 after that crazy move upward yesterday, so I started looking into what's going on. Apparently Tokyo core inflation hit 2.7%, beating the Bank of Japan's 2% target for the first time in months. In my head, higher inflation means the BOJ might finally raise rates, which should make the Yen stronger, right?

But then every article title I see says the Yen's recovery chances are super limited. I was almost ready to jump in and short USD/JPY because of serious FOMO, but now I'm worried I'm totally misunderstanding how fundamental news works. If inflation is heating up, why aren't traders dumping USD/JPY way harder?

I really don't want to get wrecked stepping into a massive trap here. How do you experienced guys process these inflation headlines, and are you still holding long USD/JPY right now or waiting to scalp the pullback?
 
Welcome to the game, man. Honestly, don't let the headlines drive you crazy. When you see inflation data coming out of Tokyo, it usually just signals whether the BOJ is feeling any pressure to finally move away from those ultra-low rates. If it spikes, the market gets excited about a potential pivot and USDJPY drops. But if you’re looking at the 4H or Daily charts like I do, you’ll see it’s mostly just noise. Just watch the price action at key support and resistance levels instead of trying to play every news release. You'll save yourself a lot of gray hairs by just being patient and waiting for the dust to settle.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top